Chocolate cake is a classic. However, there is no reason to turn towards the boxed cake mixes when it is so easy to make it from scratch. It just takes a little extra time and a few more ingredients, but it’s definitely worth it.
This chocolate cake is light and airy, sweetened with pudding mix and applesauce. Think of it as a healthier alternative to traditional chocolate cake. This means you can eat more of it and not feel as guilty, right?
This cake freezes really well too (not that you will have many leftovers). Just place the slices in airtight containers or freezer bags after the cake has fully cooled. To warm up the slices again, just pop them into the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute, depending on the size your slices.
It’s summer, so the passion vines are starting to take over the backyard again. If we don’t cut them back in the winters, I’m sure they would quickly overtake the house! The blooms are absolutely beautiful, so I couldn’t help but snap a few pictures of them.
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 3/4 cup unsweet cocoa powder
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tbs. canola oil
- 4 oz. applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- butter or spray oil
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix the freshly-brewed coffee with the cocoa powder until it has dissolved. Add the milk and vanilla extract and whisk. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, mix the sugar and canola oil together until well combined. Add the egg and egg whites and mix slowly. As soon as they are incorporated, add a cup of the dry ingredients and a cup of the wet ingredients, alternating between the two until all have been incorporated. Finally, add the Greek yogurt and stir.
- Grease the pan and pour in the cake batter. Place in an oven at 325 degrees until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (between 40 min. to an hour).
Tip: To grease a chocolate cake pan, rub butter onto the pan and sprinkle with cocoa powder instead of flour. If you use flour, the bottom of the cake will look white!